Friday, September 17, 2010

NYFW: That '70s Show

 
Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2011 [image via vogue.com]

I know I've been quiet for the past few days, but I've been wading through photos from the New York shows. Fashion Week has come to an end (at least in NYC), and the one message coming through loud and clear is that disco's back, baby!

Fall may be all about the refined lady of the '50s, but spring 2011 is hearkening back to the languid glamor of the '70s. Think fluid wide-leg jumpsuits, high-waisted trousers and billowy tie-neck blouses, with some hot pants and gold lamé thrown in for good measure.

Marc Jacobs was, no doubt, the leader of the pack when it came to harnessing '70s inspiration with his flowy pant suits and striped knits. And the spot-on styling (frizzed out hair, matte orange lips, and dark, glossy eyes by François Nars) didn't hurt either.


 
[these and all following images via style.com]


Others who took on the disco era this past week were Naeem Khan with his embellished caftans...


 
the Mulleavy sisters of Rodarte, who channeled their Pasadena backyard to land in suburbia (wood paneling and all)...



and designers like Bagdley Mischka, Derek Lam and Tracy Reese who took a crafty spin on the era with a whole lot of denim and macrame.


So which do you prefer - this fall's '50s refinement or next spring's groovy glamor?

16 comments:

  1. i am excited for something different!!
    even though i do love me a fifties dress :)
    xo
    sami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I like some of the silhouettes the blue pant suit doesn't do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looove it :)))

    http://minnja.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally crushing on the Naeem Khan kaftans. Stunning.

    ♥ V

    http://www.gritandglamour.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post as always! Looks like SS11 is going to be so much fun - I adore the 70s! But this season's ladylike chic is also gorgeous (I just feel it's for more feminine and curvy figures than mine!) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh i'm over winter and so glad we're up for a change. Glad to see hem lines are coming back down too!

    Bright Green Laces

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of this! Great review...I haven't had time to look at all the new fashion so I am love seeing these images on blogs.
    naina

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that they've taken this time as inspiration... i love the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for 70s and for marc jacobs!

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im up for a groovy 70's comeback!
    LOOOOOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great pull girl, loving Marc Jacobs colours and those kaftans!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job Marissa ! I love the 70's and I LOVE NY :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww - thanks everyone! Comments like these make my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning dress! I need a red-carpet event in which to wear it! haha I share your delight that disco is back. Let's wear it and not care what anyone else says ;)
    Great blog.
    City Girl x
    http://citygirldiariesec1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete