Friday, April 30, 2010

The Return of Overalls?


The last time I wore overalls was in high school when my tennis team would dress alike on match days. Even then, I didn't own any; I had to borrow a railroad-striped denim pair from my doubles partner.

But now it seems overalls are coming back in a major (albeit slightly frightening) way - and not just from the safe distance of the runways.

I first noticed the return of overalls in various spring 2010 collections, and now The New York Times is reporting that the onesies are taking over the streets of Brooklyn. (Oh, Brooklyn! Why am I not surprised?)

Elizabeth and James is featuring a leather pair for fall 2010, and Alexander Wang's surprisingly good-looking version is currently available at SSense.  Even J. Crew has jumped on the overalls bandwagon with a classic denim pair for spring.

My guess is that we won't see the overalls trend filter down to Boston, and you certainly won't be seeing them on me. (Then again, several years ago, I would've said the same thing about skinny jeans, and we all know how that turned out.)

I'm off to New York tomorrow, and I'll let you know via Twitter what I see. But without a trip to Brooklyn, overall sightings seem pretty unlikely.

[l to r: Alexander Wang Combo Overalls, Elizabeth and James Fall 2010, J. Crew Gallery Overalls]

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your
    website is fantastic, let alone the content!


    My web blog :: vakantiehuizen

    ReplyDelete