Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marni Fall 2010 RTW

[images via Style.com

I know I've summarily ignored London and Milan fashion weeks, but it was intentional - I swear! My obsession with following the New York shows wore me out, and I just couldn't keep it up for the entire month.

But I could not resist posting on Marni, one of my all-time favorites. Consuelo Castiglioni's sense of color is unmatched, and yet everything ends up being totally wearable.

Which is why I was so surprised to see Style.com call the Marni fall collection "wacky."

Unless you are a fully committed follower of Consuelo Castiglioni's studied eccentricity, the art of wearing Marni has to be subtraction... This season, the subtractors might have to work a little harder. As total looks, this collection had some wacky ideas: big, jazzy seventies upholstery-type patterns smothered all over suits and matching bags; tops with 3-D stand-out peplums over bulky skirts; and Bermudas, Bermudas all the way, even one pair with bias flares at the knees.
Wacky? Really? The Marni collection is certainly not wackier than Missoni:
 

 

Of course it's all a bit wacky - it's fashion! But I'm truly not seeing where Marni is any wackier than the rest.

Besides, wackiness is something to celebrate, not to criticize. It's what seperates the Marnis from the Gaps, and it's what makes high fashion as beautiful and interesting as it is.

1 comment:

  1. I mostly love the brightness of everything. I tend to wear dark neutrals, but the collection was refreshing and I love the geometry, sometimes origami-esque, of the clothing.

    ReplyDelete